Am I Cut out for this?
So do you ever have those mommy days when you wonder whether you're cut out for being a parent? Today and really the past couple of days have been like that. My kids have been sick with croup and Savanna has an ear infection as well. I'm tired because I've had two bad nights of sleep in a row because I can't sleep well when I hear them coughing plus Clark was up three times last night. (I'm spoiled my kids sleep so well when they don't it affects me more I think because I'm not used to it.)They have been fussier and I've been to the doctor twice this week just to get them doses of steroids. They sound a lot better today-they are coughing a lot less which is good. Anyway but sometimes I just get so MAD at myself when I don't handle situations with my children as well as I think I should have. And maybe it is too personal to share all these thoughts but it is therapeutic for me. Anyway, just about forty five minutes ago was one of those moments. I'll let you all see how imperfect I am... Savanna wanted to get out our Ticket to Ride game. I REALLY don't like when they get that game out because the trains are everywhere and I usually end up finding a few underneath the couches and end table so I told her she could only get out two sets of colors. She said ok and I knew she understood me. I came from cleaning up the dishes from lunch to find all of the colored trains scattered across the living room. I said, "Ok Savanna you did not listen to what I asked so we need to clean up all the trains and put them away and stop playing with the game right now." She completely refused so I put her in time out. She would not stay. I kept putting her back and back and back. At this point she was hysterical (this is one of the worst fits I've seen her have. The pharmacist did tell me she probably would be grouchy with this steroid. Guess he was right). Anyway, I ended up holding her down on my lap for 3 minutes and then told her she had to clean up the trains. She still refused. I was getting really frustrated so I plopped her down into bed and yelled, "No stories! No learning time! You cannot act like that!! and slammed the door." Of course then I felt bad. I lost my cool. I yelled at her. I should have been able to control myself. I felt bad putting her back in time out over and over again too. But she needed to stay, right? I can't just let her not have a consequence. Anyway, after I read a story to Clark and put her down I went in and apologized for yelling and told her though that she had to clean up the trains once she woke up. She nodded. Now I'm analyzing everything I did wrong. Oh, being a parent is so hard sometimes. And I try so hard to do the right thing...but sometimes I lose my cool. And I always feel bad after doing it. Anyway, so now probably all of you feel better about yourself thinking of how good a parent you are-just kidding. I just thought we all could relate and know that when you are frustrated ore lose your cool with your kids you are not the only one.


4 comments:
Well, I have had many of those moments. My baby turns 14 tomorrow. She survived, just like her siblings.
Hope tomorrow is a better day for you.
Take a deep breathe and know you are doing a good job. You are a great mother. I feel that life would be so easy if we did not have little ones to raise, but the lord wants us to have these experiences. I have my moments and I feel that I lose my cool at times that I shouldn't. The best thing is that children are so forgiving. They are our teachers. I have learned to rely on the Lord for help when I am about to lose my cool, but I am still learning. I love you!
I wonder this about myself too! I have these days, and sometimes a week at a time! But... you are cut out for it! Thank goodness that kids are SO forgiving and they do really forget, and thank goodness for second chances after naps/tomorrow, etc. You are such a good mom, and those kids know it. They love you.
You're a wonderful mommy Ashley! We ALL have those moments and the only thing you can do is start over and try harder next time. Don't worry, I'm sure your kids know how loved they are.
Post a Comment