I RAN IT!!!!!!
So Saturday I completed my first half marathon and it was awesome! I loved it and I want to do another one! I've always loved to run but now I think I'm officially addicted to it. I actually want to run a marathon one day but it just seems like too big of a time commitment right now with taking care of my little ones. Training for a half was a lot of work as it was. I may do another half in October.. I have not decided yet. Anyway, I think one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much and did not think it was an awful experience was because I did something called the Run/Walk Method by Jeff Galloway. TC really pushed this saying he thought it would really work for me but I was not sure. The idea behind it is you actually improve your time by taking walking breaks because you have more energy to run faster during your running intervals and it also is supposed to prevent injuries. Therefore, Jeff Galloway says that you actually will improve your time by using this method. I just didn't want to walk any of it because to me that seemed like giving up. But I finally agreed to try it on my 8 mile run the week before my race and it totally worked. Pretty much what you do is you pick what pace you want to maintain for each mile and he has a chart with a ratio of how long you run and then how long you walk. So for me I was ambitious and went for a 9 minute mile pace ( I can maintain an 8.5 to 9.5 minute mile up to about 6 miles but then it gets a lot harder after that.) So I ran 4 minutes and walked 1 minute throughout the whole race. It was really hard to make myself do sometime but it totally worked. My goal was to run this race in 2 and a half hours or less and I ran it in 2 hours and 8 minutes so I was happy with that time for my first race. I averaged about 9 minutes and 48 seconds a mile. It was really hard in the beginning too because the first 4 miles were steep, steep, uphill but then it was downhill for awhile so that helped. Anyway, but I do have a funny story associated with this race that I just can't help but share. SO after I was done running and we were about to leave they started announcing the winners for the various age categories. I decided I wanted to stay because I just wanted to hear what the times were for the people that placed in the top 3 in their age groups. Anyway, I got distracted talking for a minute and the next thing I knew I heard "2nd place: Ashley Perry". I was shocked! I was happy with my time but knew it was not amazingly fast. Anyway, I went up to the front and the announcer asked with a confused look on his face, "What is your name?" And I told him. I said, "Are you sure this medal is for me? I'm stunned." Anyway, by this time my mom also made her way to the front and was screaming very loudly bringing some attention to herself (she was very excited for me. It was cute.) Anyway, the guy then said over the microphone that I just said I was stunned that I got this and asked everyone to cheer for me and brought attention to my cheering mother in the front. Anyway, I was a bit embarrassed but excited about the medal...until later that night when TC was checking the race results online. I wanted to know how many people were running in my age group and what other people's times were. Anyway, TC told me that my name was not listed under my age group but under placing second in the Athena category. I had no idea what the heck the Athena category was! So we googled it. Turns out the Athena category is a special running category for women over a certain weight (Over 150 pounds). I was so confused. For the record I do not think 150 pounds is overweight and I am not really sure why they have this category but I do weigh less than that so I was not sure how I ended up in this category. We went to the registration form and there is a spot for special events and you can check yes or no if you wanted to be included in this category. I'm guessing I checked yes. There was no explanation of what this category was but I guess I will know not check yes for it next time! Anyway, it turns out I placed 27th in my age group and the 1st place winner ran it in 1 hour and 36 minutes. A lot different than my time. I was a bit deflated and embarrassed thinking back on the whole scenario when I went and received my medal that I did not even rightly deserve!! No wonder the man announcing the winners was so confused when he looked at me! Oh embarrassing! Oh well, better to place in a category you don't even belong in than not one at all? Right? I don't know, maybe not. But it does make for a good story. But overall it was a great day, a great run, and great fun so I can't complain too much!


6 comments:
LOL, good job! I just found out that our half marathon has been cancelled! There aren't any others in the right time window, so we're out of luck. :(
Great job on your race! Even if you didn't really finish 2nd (which the story about the medal is pretty funny), that's still a really good time! I'm pretty sure it would take me at least 3 hours. Good job beating your goal!
That is soo funny about the medal. Good job of running though! You are awesome!
awesome!!!! my goal someday!! maybe you can be my trainer:-)-Steph
Way to go! And what a great time!
Good job Ashley! That is awesome. I wish I loved running...but I really don't.
Post a Comment