Transitioning to Two Naps
Okay, this post is for all those moms out there who could maybe help me out with some advice on the wonderful topic of napping. ( I know, I never thought I could be so obsessed with another human being's sleeping patterns!) So lately Savanna started taking very short naps. She usually takes three naps a day. Anyway, the doctor and everyone else I have talked to say she is probably ready for two naps. So TC and I have started trying to transition her to this but it is not as easy as we thought. Here are the difficulties we are encountering. 1. Savanna usually doesn't stay up long enough to only have two naps a day. She will usually only stay up for about 2.5 hours in between her naps during the day and just can't make it to her bedtime without three naps. She literally will fall asleep and there is no way for us to keep her up longer. 2. Even when she does stay up longer (about three hours in between her nap times) she still doesn't seem to sleep longer which is what the doctor told us would happen. Therefore, she can't stretch her awake time long enough to only have two naps a day. Oh other information is I have been putting Savanna down for almost all her naps in her crib rather than on the go and this doesn't seem to make a difference. Is she really ready for two naps from the sound of it? Do I maybe just have to accept that Savanna is a short napper? Anyway, any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!


4 comments:
I'd just let it happen naturally. It sounds like she's moving in that direction, but you can't force it. Arden did the same thing for about 2 months before he got himself on a 2 nap/day schedule, then gradually down to 1. As long as she still seems like her happy self, I wouldn't worry about the nap thing. It'll sort itself out. Isn't it funny the things you become obsessed with when you become a mom? Like watching Anders chomping on and slobbering all over his foot is cute to me. Who would've thought I'd like to watch another human being try to devour their own foot? Crazy. :)
As an expert on the subject...(As in: does anyone really know?!!!I kind of feel like doctors just make up a bunch of junk! have they ever tried the stuff they ask you to do. They make it sound sooooo easy and then you get home and its like "That doesn't work!") but I have read about 4 or 5 baby sleep books because I also am obsessed with my infants sleeping patterns. If she is sleeping okay at night then 3 naps a day is probably perfect for her. If she doesn't sleep well at night maybe she is resting too much, but then I always think "My poor baby, she didn't sleep well last night. She has to get sleep sometime" so I will let her sleep during the day. Lucy just started taking only 2 naps a day this month and still gets a little cranky and tired around what would have been her third nap. SOme days she took 3 and other days she took two. I just tried to read her tired cues and put her down if she really needed it. I would give Savanna a little bit longer taking 3 naps. I know it is incredibly inconvenient and you feel like you can't go anywhere or get anything done, but in the end trying to keep a tired baby awake has always been disastrous for me. Good job always putting her in her crib. In the end that will pay off, even if you don't see any results now. I really wish I would have done that, so keep it up! Good luck on your quest as a Mother! Books really make it sound easy sometimes, but sleep can be tough!
Hey Ashley! It's been such a treat catching up w/you guys on your blog; I just found it yesterday, through the Field's. On NAPS: let her transition naturally. Shift her bedtime earlier. Read "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." by Dr. Weissbluth. Great book--you only need to read the age-appropriate parts at first. At 8 months, Samuel sleeps between 15-17 hours a day, at least 12 of those during the night. GOOD LUCK. Keep up the great work; naps are so important, and it totally feels like you're stuck at home like Wendy said, but WORTH it not to have an overtired, cranky child who never learns to sleep. Stay in touch, and we love and miss you guys--Nora Harrison
noraharrison@gmail.com
harrisonfamilyfun.blogspot.com
I let Brett do it on his own time!! Your the Mom, do what YOU think is best for YOUR baby!!
Post a Comment