LIfe with a Little One
So I have found that sometimes it is challening to come up with activities to entertain a little 14 month old but I actually have realized that there are many ways Savanna and I can enjoy our time together. I thought I would share some of the things I have come up with and see if any of you could add activities to my list. Savanna and I are always looking for fun things to do together. Anyway, here is the list I have so far.
Out of the House Activities
1. Kindermusik class (please see a previous post dated a few weeks ago entitled "Kindermusik for more info).
2. Jump on It (They have Mommy and Me time every Wednesday from 10:00-11:00 a.m. for just $3 and then each additional child is $2. It is a fun place!)
3. Story time at the library
4. Play groups with friends and rotating houses
5. Playground at the mall
6. Children's museum
7. Zoo
8. Feeding the ducks at the pond
9. Going for a walk or jog (if you have a jogging stroller)
10. Playing at the park
11. Throwing a ball around outside
12. Water parks (check out seven peaks season passes!)
13. Disney Land/World! (obviously something you can't do on a regular basis but one that is a good trip. We had so much fun when we took Savanna to Disney Land.)
At home activities
1. Reading books
2. Working on her flashcards (We have purchased and made some flash cards to teach Savanna various things such as animals, instruments,etc. We are following a program by Glenn Doman. Let me know if you want more info.)
3. Playing with toys
4. Dancing to music
5. Playing the piano
6. Playing Savanna's musical instruments
Anyway, I have also come up with a list of certain activites that are more challenging with a baby.
1. Temple Open Houses: We decided to go the Draper Temple Open House last night and it was a bit of a challenge for Savanna-maybe it was because she was tired. She couldn't understand that she had to stay on the plastic but wanted to run wild. She also wanted to get a drink out of every drinking fountain that we passed even though we explained to her that they were not working. And there was no where to go when she was crying and it felt weird to have her crying in the temple
2. Church-I do love taking Savanna to church because it is so fun to dress her up but it definetely can be a bit of a challenge. I swear Savanna is more hyper at church than anywhere else-I am not sure why. Maybe it is because we make her stay in the area of the pew through sacrament meeting. It is definetely more difficult to concentrate on the instructors and we spend a lot of Sunday School and Relief Society and Priesthodd running after her. A few weeks ago Savanna was wandering around searching through a couple moms' diaper bags looking for snacks. You'd think I didn't feed the child (but those of you that have seen her recently definetely know that is not true!) Then a couple weeks ago she spilled her Cheerioes everywhere in front of the Sunday Schoo class. It was embarassing and distracting. Nonetheless, Savanna seems to have fun at church some days. We hope she enjoys nursery in a few months-we shall see.
3. Movies-we have never tried because Savanna doesn't watch tv and we don't want to pay for a movie to stay out in the hall the whole time.
4. Concerts-Never tried this either and don't plan on it until Savanna is a lot older
5. Seminars or speakers-any type of event where Savanna has to sit still for awhile and we are supposed to sit and listen becomes a challenge (guess this falls under a similar category with church)
Anyway, but despite its challenges, parenting is a wonderful thing. I love being a mother to Savanna! I treasure the days that I am able to spend with her. She is my little friend who follows me around right now but I know that it won't always be this way so I am loving every minute of it while it lasts! I know that I will be one of those moms bawling her eyes out when I send her off to kindergarten!


4 comments:
I like your post, it is sweet to know that you are her favorite person in the whole world!!! You will have to tell me about the flash card activity~
naomi
I was reading your post out loud and Lexi got really excited about all the things you were listing. I lost her on “playing the piano” and now she’s playing it in the other room.
Savanna’s so lucky to have such a good mom! What I’d add to the list is a picnic or nature walk. When Lexi was younger we took a bucket outside we would find things like leaves and flowers and collect them on our walk. The old FHE manual has a bunch of other fun ideas too.
Hi Ashley! I don't have a blog, but I read your's and others from the ward! So, um...can we get together and do some of these fun mommy-daughter activities?! I totally want to do the Jump on It place! Emi would LOVE that (I don't know what it is, but from the sounds of it, I'm assuming it's a lot like McDonald's playland but better!). When do you usually go to these? Before or after naptime? And I would LOVE to learn more about the music thing AND the flashcard thing. I've just wanted to do so much with Emi ever since I stopped working my other job!
my email: sethcarrol@yahoo.com
Carrol Robins
I can't believe T.C. is thirty! Happy Birthday!
I just wanted to give you an idea to add to your list, because I definitely struggle with the same thing...let's just say outings are different than they were 2 years ago.
One activity I love to do with Lucy is take her to see plays. Surprising, I know. Okay you can't take your little one to a Broadway show, but inexpensive community theater is pretty cool about letting you sit near an exit and just leaving when you need to. Lucy usually doesn't make it through a whole play, but generally loves it for the first 40minutes.
The reason I thought about telling you this is because in the summer they have plays outdoors at the Scera Park Theater in Orem. We took Lucy there last summer and she loved the music and dancing, plus she could crawl around on the grassy hill in the back where she wasn't bugging anyone, but you can still see and hear the show from a little bit of a distance. It is casual and really fun, but bedtime may get in the way depending on how Savannah does staying up past bedtime. Side note: The BYU friday newspaper often has 2 for one coupons.
Post a Comment