Saturday, February 4, 2012

Phasing out Naps

Ok yes I know that I am lucky that Savanna has made it this long with napping so well. However, it seems like she is starting to phase them out. Last week she took one every other day and now we are on the third day in a row of no naps. I have to admit this feels like a big adjustment for me! What do you moms of no napping kids do with them all day? And we have to be home during that time because Clark is napping. I do try to do quiet time for an hour (though I was used to her napping for at least two hours and sometimes up to three hours), she plays with friends occasionally and we have done movies a couple of times. I don't want to use movies too much though. Does anyone have any other ideas?

5 comments:

Youngberg Family said...

Does she like art? My kids can spend big chunks of time coloring or water painting. If you have some kid music she likes you can make it a special time for her and she can listen to music and pick an activity. I'd recommend being prepared with a couple of quiet activities she can master on her own (puzzles, etc) as back ups and have a timer or something like that. My back up for misbehaving or bored kids is putting them to work. :) They're learning fast how to keep themselves busy. Good luck!

Aleta said...

I've seen ideas on Pinterest to have quiet time boxes filled with different things for each day (one box for each day of the week). I don't really have much experience in this area, but I like the idea of putting them to work if they're bored or misbehaving too!

Devin, Naomi and Spencer said...

Hey Ashley I am with you on not wanting the kids to watch too much tv. We usually watch one show a day or so sometimes a small one in the morning if we really need one. But when spencer was napping he would watch a show at night since he was up later, and now with out naps he goes to bed with marianne at 7pm, so he gets his show at Napqime/quiet time so that I can stil have a little bit of me time.

Youngberg Family said...

It might be worth it to do a Toddler "Busy Bag" Swap to give her some do-it-yourself activities. I'm working one organized with some friends here. I found out about them on pinterest. Here's a great link to learn more:
http://therigneys.wordpress.com/2011/08/26/toddler-busy-bag-swap/

Ashley said...

Thanks for all the advice everyone! The day after I wrote this she has napped for the past 3 days so not sure now what she is doing! I know the naps will phase out completely sometime though so it is good to be prepared.