Saturday, February 5, 2011

What I didn't know before becoming a mother...

Here are just some thoughts I'm having today. So there are some days where I will run into a problem or tough spot as a mother and I ask myself, "Why didn't anybody ever tell me this would happen to me as a mother?" I don't know maybe people did and I just wasn't listening (this is very possible). My mom now laughs at my stories and says "Yeah I've been there." (Apparently the joy of being a grandparent is watching your children struggle with the same things they did when their kids were younger-lol.) I do remember when I was pregnant with Savanna people would tell me, "Just remember after six weeks it gets better." I remember thinking, "Why does everyone keep telling me that?" Then I had a baby and I got it. Anyway, here are a collection of some things I have learned since becoming a mother. I hope those of you that are mothers can relate and those of you who are not can have some sort of preparation if or when you become one since apparently I was not prepared for these surprises. 1. I learned what the heck preeclampsia is since I had it mildly with Savanna and was induced two weeks early. 2. I learned that breastfeeding hurts more than labor for some women. (of course I did not have a "natural" child birth so those of you that have are probably laughing at my wimpiness). 3. I learned that breastfeeding is not the key to weight loss for all women. 4. I learned that 21 year old male interns and anyone else that feels inclined can come in and "observe" me while in labor or at my six week check up. 5. I learned that instant baby bonding doesn't happen for all women. For some of us it takes longer like 3 months maybe? (Don't get me wrong. I love my children but newborns are not my favorite. I really start to enjoy them more around 3 months.) 6. I learned that pregnancy forgetfulness does not resolve itself right after having a baby. It takes weeks or maybe even months (ie: refer to previous post I think entitled pregnancy destroys brain cells or something like that) 7. I learned that my child having a fever of 101 degrees or higher can almost push me into an anxiety attack (FYI I've never actually had a panic attack but can get pretty anxious when it comes to my kids being sick). 8. I learned that taking a shower and getting ready on some days is a major accomplishment. 9. I learned that there is no such thing as "running to the grocery store" with two small kids in tow. 10. I learned that an outing to the grocery store or anywhere else can leave me feeling exhausted, stressed out, and/or embarrassed on some days. (refer to previous post "Motherhood No Wimps Need Apply" where I describe how poop dripped down my legs from Clark's diaper at the check out line at Wal Mart). 11. I learned that anything you do takes about 3 times as long when kids are involved. 12. I learned that frequent ear infections are highly genetic (from their wonderful father but unfortunately with the bad ear genes. I'm sure they'll need braces from my genes some day though.) 13. I learned that when you are on the phone your child/children automatically need your full attention. 14. I learned that forgetting a "binky" at home can turn a fun outing into a not so fun one. 15. I learned that with kids around a nicely swept floor only lasts for a couple of hours until the next meal. 16. I learned that the term "Mama's boy" is grounded in truth and starts early. 17. I learned that my kids can make me laugh more than anyone else. 18. I truly learned the meaning of sacrifice. 19. I learned to appreciate what my parents did for me. 20. I learned that motherhood truly is the Lord's work and what we do every day as mothers truly makes a difference in our childrens' lives and society as a whole. 21. I learned that you truly love those who you serve the most. 22. I learned that children grow up too fast. 23. I have learned that despite all the challenges that come with motherhood almost everyone who is a mother would say it is worth it. I would have to agree with them. *It is worth it because I get to see those cute faces everyday. I get to hear "Mommy" and "Ma Ma." I get to listen to my Savanna sing or read herself to sleep. I get to see my Clark dance to any music that he hears playing. I get to feel Savanna throw her arms around my neck and say, "Mommy. I love you so much." I get to watch Clark look around for Savanna and smile big when he sees her. I get to listen to giggles and little feet running upstairs. I get to read bedtime stories and watch my childrens' faces lite up when they learn something for the first time. For all of these things and many more I would not trade being a mother for anything else in the world.

5 comments:

Cassie said...

Love it!!

Amy said...

Oh, I love everything about this post!

Klin said...

#13 NEVER goes away. When my mom is on the phone all the things I need to ask her come to mind. It's strange how that works. And my 22 y/o, 19 y/o, 15 y/o, and 13 y/o still do this to me.

This is a great post! And so true.

Tom and Ann Perry Family said...

Ahhhh! This was a wonderful post Ashley!!
THANKS for sharing your feelings about Motherhood.
Love you!

Spenser said...

Wow amazingly put Ash. From big sis, to mother, you've got it pretty down pat! You and TC really are great parents! Hope all is well with you guys!