The Meltdown of All Meltdowns
So Friday I became that mom none of us ever wants to be. The one with the screaming, hysterical child that you are not able to control. Many times in the past I have been somewhere in public witnessing a poor mother trying to stop her toddler from throwing a gigantic fit. I have watched on with sympathy and a bit of relief thinking, "I'm glad that's not my kid. Savanna does not act that way." Ha-Wow did I receive payback for my condescending attitude. Yesterday afternoon I was in the waiting room of the doctor's for an appointment I made for Savanna. We ended up waiting in the main room for about 45 minutes. Usually I can entertain Savanna for quite awhile in public with books or toys. Not today. About 10 minutes after getting there she proceeded to start wandering around the waiting room, sitting on the couch, and "reading" magazines. This did not become a problem until she started running around, hitting the lamp shades and trying to climb behind the end tables and the couch. I gave her several warnings saying she needed to calm down to no avail. Finally I sat her down in a chair and told her she needed to stay there. She did not listen. She continued to run away from me. So I sat her in the chair and sat in front of her so she could not get out. That's when the fun began-she began crying, screaming very loudly. I told her she needed to calm down and listen. She did calm down for a couple minutes so I told her I would not sit in front of her anymore if she could read her books quietly or play with the toys. I let her out and she proceeded to run away from me again. So I grabbed her arm and tried to pick her up. She fell onto the floor throwing a temper tantrum. I tried several more times and she continued to flail herself around on the floor. I was mortified! In any other situation I would have been OUTTA THERE but I was thinking to myself-"If I leave I'll lose my place and have to wait longer or I'll have to come back another day." I managed to kind of drag her to the check in desk. In desperation I asked, "How much longer will it be? We have been waiting here for 45 minutes and she is hysterical." They checked and said I was the next one to be called back but the doctor was running really far behind and it would probably be 30 or 40 minutes MINIMUM once we were in a room before we were actually seen. I told them there was no way I could wait that long and we would have to reschedule for tomorrow. As I was gathering our stuff to leave (she is still crying hystericall this whole time) a nurse comes out and calls her name. I told her we were leaving because she was so upset and we could not wait 30 or 40 more minutes. She tried to persuade Savanna to come with her with no success. I asked her if there was any way the doctor could see us next. She checked and said yes. We brought her back (at this point she was cooperating but still crying). She did cry for a bit longer but calmed down while we were waiting for the doctor to come in. Needless to say she did not get a lollipop for being good at the doctor.


2 comments:
Mister has thrown some pretty monumental tantrums himself. Literally, snot flying, tears flying.... It's what I imagine the "gnashing of teeth" to be like from the scriptures. Thankfully he's outgrown that phase, but I'm always happy to see other kids doing it though. It makes me feel like I'm not the only one who has an out of control kid sometimes. :) Hang in there!
Wait till you have two kids doing it at the same time:-) I think that is why I am going grey:-) I am sorry that she was a stinker. Hang in there!
Post a Comment